Isilon Enterprise Application Bundle includes SmartPools, InsightIQ, SnapshotIQ, SmartConnect, SmartQuotas and SyncIQ.
With the ability to support an unlimited number of snapshots within a single pool of Isilon storage and up to 1,024 snapshots within any single directory, SnapshotIQ represents a significant advancement over traditional snapshot technology. With SnapShotIQ, snapshots are locally retained, read-only and incorruptible point-in-time images of data that reliably distribute an unlimited number of snapshots across Isilon storage nodes. Isilon snapshots are highly scalable and typically take less than one second to create, incurring little to no performance overhead - regardless of the size of the file system, the directory being snapshot, or the level of production activity on the cluster.
InsightIQ helps you maximize the performance of your Isilon scale-out storage system with innovative, advanced analytics to optimize applications, correlate workflow and network events, and accurately forecast future storage needs. With Isilon you can easily manage PBs and GBps of storage and computing resources. Now, with InsightIQ you can go a step a beyond, with innovative, advanced analytics to identify performance bottlenecks in your workflows and minimize the amount of high performance storage required in your environment. Built on a Web 2.0 framework, InsightIQ is deployed as a virtual appliance, minimizing the impact of monitoring with an off-cluster virtual application that seamlessly integrates into enterprise environments.
SmartQuotas allows administrators to control and limit storage usage across their organization and provision a single pool of Isilon scale-out storage to best meet their unique storage challenges. Using SmartQuotas, storage administrators assign quotas that seamlessly partition a highly scalable, single, shared pool of storage into easily managed segments, with industry-leading flexibility for quotas at the cluster, directory, sub-directory, user and group level. SmartQuotas spans across the entire cluster, regardless of the number of nodes, enabling IT managers to easily administer storage from a single point of view while supporting growing storage demands. SmartQuotas' thin provisioning capability allows administrators to present more storage capacity to applications and users than is physically installed. Administrators can limit their actual physical storage resources to what is only needed today, and automatically add storage resources on-demand to meet changing business requirements tomorrow.
EMC Isilon SyncIQ offers powerful, flexible and easy to manage replication of data for disaster recovery, business continuance, and disk-to-disk backup and remote disk archive. SyncIQ delivers unique replication performance: every node in an Isilon cluster can send and receive data, so replication actually gets faster the larger your data store grows, since SyncIQ can take advantage of any available network bandwidth. Because both the source and the target can scale to multiple petabytes without fragmentation into multiple volumes or file systems, data replication starts simple and stays that way as the system scales. A simple and intuitive web-based UI allows you to easily organize SyncIQ replication job rates and priorities to match business continuance priorities. Typically, a SyncIQ recurring job would be put in place to protect the data required for each major recovery point objective in your disaster recovery plan - sync every 6 hours for customer data, every 2 days for HR data, and so on. You can configure a directory, file system or even specific files for more or less frequent replication based on their business criticality. You can also create remote archive copies of out-of-use data that needs to be retained so you can reclaim valuable capacity in your production system.
The EMC Isilon scale-out storage platform gives you the power to scale capacity and performance, on-demand, transparently and without downtime. Now, you can right-size and accelerate your working set while automatically and transparently moving inactive data to more cost-effective storage using EMC SmartPools. SmartPools allows multiple tiers of Isilon storage nodes to exist within a single file system, and unlocks the ability to aggregate and consolidate applications. That gives you workflow isolation, higher utilization, and independent scalability - all with a single point of management. SmartPools allows you to define the value of the data within your workflows based on policies. Data movement is absolutely seamless - including in-flight read/write activity, locking semantics, backup application interaction and underlying file identification. With file-level granularity and control with automatic policies, manual control, or API interface, you can tune performance and layout, storage tier alignment, and protection settings - all with zero impact to your end-users.
With intelligent client connection load balancing and failover support, SmartConnect optimizes Isilon scale-out storage performance and availability. Through a single host name, SmartConnect enables client connection load balancing and dynamic NFS failover and failback of client connections across storage nodes to provide optimal utilization of the cluster resources. SmartConnect eliminates the need to install client side drivers, enabling you to easily manage large numbers of clients with confidence that in the event of a system failure, in flight reads and writes will successfully finish without failing.
SmartQuotas spans across all nodes, regardless of the number of storage devices, enabling an IT manager to easily administer storage from a single point of view.
SmartQuotas makes it as easy to manage quotas for thousands of users as it is to manage a few hundred - enabling massive scalability of users and groups for even the largest storage environments.
SmartQuotas enables unique quota and provisioning policies to be set at the cluster, directory, sub-directory, user and group level, delivering unprecedented flexibility and ease of management.
Effective storage management
Administrators can configure their system so that specific users and groups are only allowed to see the storage they have been provisioned for.
Robust notification and scheduled reporting
SmartQuotas' flexible reporting and notification options provide end-users, managers and administrators the information they need to manage.
In the event of a storage head failure traditional storage architectures with two-way failover typically sustain at least 50% degradation in performance as clients must fail over to the remaining head. With Isilon, during failover, clients are evenly distributed across all remaining nodes in the cluster ensuring minimal performance impact.
SmartConnect supports dynamic NFS failover for Linux and UNIX clients, ensuring in the event of a node failure, all in-flight reads and writes are handed off to another node in the cluster without any interruption to users or applications.
Clients and storage nodes can be added and the cluster can be scaled without disruption while the system is in production, even in computing intensive environments.
- INSIGHTIQ FEATURES:
- Easily bookmark relevant views for communicating key information throughout an organization
- Align end-user descriptions with performance metrics over various time periods
- Correlate and trend detailed file system information on a per-directory and per-file basis
- Determine which datasets are growing more rapidly, which direction files and file types are trending, and how data aligns to storage costs
- Get ahead of system issues and avoid impacts on end-users and application availability
- Identify past performance trends to help predict future needs
- Identify the business value of critical data over time and align use of storage resources
- Provide cost-effective analytics, while leveraging your virtual infrastructure with minimal impact
- Eliminate bottlenecks and inefficiencies without professional services or highly-trained personnel
- SNAPSHOTIQ FEATURES:
- SnapshotIQ provides near instantaneous, secure, user-initiated and managed data restores
- Isilon's snapshots are locally retained, read-only and incorruptible point-in-time images of data that reliably distribute an unlimited number of snapshots across multiple Isilon storage nodes
- SnapshotIQ provides the ability to conduct frequent, low-impact, user-recoverable backups of files
- The single volume and single namespace of Isilon storage means you don't have to manage snapshots across different volumes, across multiple storage systems and across multiple file systems - eliminating the need to move directory structures or data between file systems and volumes
- Isilon snapshot technology allows you to snapshot precisely only the data you want, when you want, eliminating the need to snapshot the entire volume
- With SnapshotIQ, you can easily move directories, assign resources and change directory names while preserving snapshot integrity and logical access to the snapshots
- SnapShotIQ virtually eliminates the challenge of monitoring to ensure sufficient storage space is available for snapshots
- One of the largest IT costs associated with backup and restore is the sheer number of help desk calls from end-users who accidentally delete a file or directory
- Once a baseline snapshot has been established, only changes to blocks that make up a file are reflected in updates to the current version of snapshots, ensuring highly efficient snapshot storage utilization
- SYNCIQ FEATURES:
- Flexible, asynchronous replication: granular, asynchronous data replication across NL-series clusters
- WAN and LAN support: perform replication jobs either on the LAN (internal to a data center) or over the WAN
- Simple set-up: installs non-disruptively in fewer than ten minutes
- Replication policy control: set replication policies for an entire cluster or at the directory level
- File-level policies: set replication policies for a specific file types and ranges
- Scheduling: designate replication frequency
- Web-based monitoring: control all functionality through a robust Web-based interface
- Unmatched replication performance: all nodes concurrently send and receive data during replication jobs in real time, without impacting users reading and writing to the system
- Integrated snapshots: save hours with integrated snapshots instead of time-consuming tree walks to hunt for changed files
- SMARTPOOLS FEATURES:
- Eliminate multiple storage silos with a single volume, single namespace for all tiers and workflows
- Utilize policy-based automatic data movement within a single namespace, single file-system without complex links, stubs, or manual data migration
- Add capacity and/or performance in 60 seconds, enabling seamless expansion of any tier, on-demand
- Consolidate and aggregate multiple applications into a single storage system, eliminating data movement and simplifying management
- No professional services, specialized training or complex system design is required
- Align application needs with performance, capacity, and economics - automatically
- Respond quickly to changes in workflow and demand for new performance and capacity
- Seamlessly adapt to workflow changes without affecting applications or workflows
- Provide workflow isolation for critical applications without increasing management complexity
- Isilon pay-as-you-grow scalability maximizes utilization across tiers
- Automatically align the value of data with optimal storage performance and cost without modifying applications or notifying users