The IBM BladeCenter PCI Express Gen 2 Expansion Blade provides the capability to attach selected PCI Express cards on selected server blades. This is ideal for many applications that require special telecommunications network interface or hardware acceleration using PCI Express card. It provides one full height/full length PCI Express slot and one full height/half length PCI Express slot with a 75-watt power supply for each slot. It integrates PCI Express card support capability into the blade architecture.
This option provides one full-length PCI Express x16 mechanical/x8 electrical slot and one half-length PCI Express x16 mechanical/x8 electrical slot for that blade alone, which can be used for a variety of cards.
Support for PCIe 2.0 adapters in an expansion blade
The expansion blade lets you install one or two standard form factor PCIe 2.0 adapter cards in a BladeCenter environment, enabling the use of specialized adapters or adapters that wouldn't otherwise be available to BladeCenter customers. Each of the two adapters can consume up to 75W.
Ability to stack up to four expansion blades on a single base blade
You can attach up to four expansion blades, thereby maintaining the BladeCenter density advantage while still giving you the option to install PCIe cards as needed without the need for each server blades and the added complexity and cost that brings. The first expansion blade connects to the server blade using the CFFh expansion slot of the server blade. The second expansion blade attaches to the CFFh connector on the first expansion blade, and so on.
CFFh slot still availableProduct Highlights
The CFFh CFFh expansion connector is accessible on the top-most expansion blade, even with 4 expansion blades attached. This lets you maintain the integrated networking capabilities of the blade server when installed in a BladeCenter H or BladeCenter HT chassis.
- PCI Express slot support for HS22 (7870)
- Offers unique stacking capability that allows users to stack up to four PCI Express expansion blades on a single server blade
- User is still able to access the high speed I/O slot (CFFh) in a stacked configuration
- Attaches to 2-socket blade servers
- Creates a double-wide, triple-wide, quad-wide or quint-wide blade solution for HS22 blades
- Supports two PCI Express adapters per expansion unit blade option
- Provides 75-watt maximum per slot