Enterprises, trading centers and network operators are looking for ways to simplify, streamline and virtualize their data centers. Software Defined Networking (SDN) with OpenFlow is emerging as a compelling way to build fast, agile and intelligent networks. Data flow control is abstracted from static individual switches to dynamic programmable network-level control. Administrators can quickly create and control virtual networks for each application environment or network service. They can scale highly virtualized application infrastructures, multi-tenant networks on public or private clouds.
The IBM Programmable Network Controller (IBM PNC) provides an OpenFlow-based fabric with centralized control of network flows and unlimited virtual machine (VM) mobility - implemented in enterprise-class software. The controller software automatically and continuously discovers the OpenFlow network topology and maps physical and virtual traffic flows across any OpenFlow-based data center network environment. The IBM PNC helps provide a highly reliable, edge-to-edge system network fabric that can be defined for multi-tenant environments. Granular policy enforcements ensure secure isolation across multiple tenants. Administrators can use the IBM PNC to attach policies that direct overall network operations, saving management time and helping to ensure that data center system and network deployments are aligned with business strategy.
Open data center network fabric
Clients can easily and cost-effectively deploy, control, monitor and manage new agile data center network infrastructures.
Massively scalable and partitionable for co-located workloads and cloud data centers. Rapid scale out of new and existing applications on highly virtualized infrastructures.
Advanced network awareness and automation
Improved overall system reliability and availability for workload-optimized systems and networks.
End-to-end network visualizationProduct Highlights
Fast information for IT and network administrators to inform rapid decision making. Workload-based scale-out of physical and virtual network resources.
- Easily and cost-effectively deploy, customize, control, monitor and manage scalable and agile network infrastructures
- Support virtualized, dynamic workloads in the data center with an OpenFlow-based physical network infrastructure
- Centrally configure and enforce secure multi-tenant networks
- Centralize control of the network for ease of configuration, management and quick response to changing network state for improved and simplified network operations
- Enable rapid scale out of new and existing applications on highly virtualized infrastructures
- Increase overall system reliability and availability with advanced network awareness and automation
- Intelligent and dynamic multipath routing based on business policy for superior quality of service aligned with business priorities
- End-to-end network visualization supports fast, informed decisions
- Fully redundant configuration for highly available enterprise ready deployment
- Intuitive, easy to use graphical user interface for configuration of virtual networks and policy-based networking
- Advanced RESTful APIs allows easy integration with data center provisioning products