To keep pace with growing business demands, data centers are transitioning to highly virtualized, private cloud storage environments. This approach enables organizations to consolidate and simplify their IT resources, resulting in increased business agility and lower capital and operating expenses. But virtualization is not without its challenges. Data centers must keep up with the explosive data growth and dynamic changes driven by virtualized workloads. Selecting the right network is key to realizing the full benefits of these cloud-based architectures.
The IBM System Networking SAN24B-5 switch is designed to provide outstanding price and performance value, combining flexibility, simplicity, 16 Gbps Fiber Channel technology and enterprise-class functionality in an entry-level switch.
Building block for virtualized, private cloud storage
The SAN24B-5 provides a critical building block for the highly virtualized, private cloud storage environments. It simplifies server virtualization and virtual desktop infrastructure management while meeting the high-throughput demands of solid state disks. The SAN24B-5 also supports multi-tenancy in cloud environments through quality of service and fabric-based zoning features.
Flexible, simple and easy-to-use industry-leading technology
The SAN24B-5 delivers industry-leading SAN technology within a flexible, simple and easy-to-use solution. The base configuration includes 12 activated ports, with up to 24 ports on demand. In addition to providing best-in-class scalability, the SAN24B-5 is easy to deploy with the EZSwitchSetup wizard and the diagnostic ports feature, which simplifies setup.
Accelerating fabric deployment with diagnostic ports
D-Ports enable administrators to quickly identify and isolate optics and cable problems, reducing fabric deployment and diagnostic times. Organizations can also use D-Ports to run a variety of tests through the IBM Network Advisor or command line interface (CLI) to test ports, small form-factor pluggables and cables for faults, latency and distance.
Simplifying server deployment with dynamic fabric provisioning
Dynamic fabric provisioning enables organizations to eliminate fabric reconfiguration when adding or replacing servers through the virtualization of host worldwide names (WWNs). It also reduces or eliminates the need to modify zoning or logical unit number masking, as well as enabling pre-provisioning of virtual WWNs, helping organizations eliminate time-consuming steps when deploying new equipment or moving devices within a switch.
Leveraging access gateway modeProduct Highlights
The SAN24B-5 can be deployed as a full-fabric switch or as an access gateway, which simplifies fabric topologies and heterogeneous fabric connectivity. Access Gateway Mode1 utilizes NPIV switch standards to present physical and virtual servers directly to the core of SAN fabrics. This makes access gateway transparent to the SAN fabric, greatly reducing management of the network edge. In access gateway mode, the SAN24B-5 can connect servers to NPIV-enabled b-type, m-type and other SAN fabrics.
- Gain flexibility, simplicity and enterprise-class functionality in a 24-port, 1 U form factor, entry-level switch
- Maximize resiliency with non-disruptive software upgrades and redundant power supply
- Streamline deployment and troubleshooting time with dynamic fabric provisioning, critical monitoring and advanced diagnostic features
- Simplify server connectivity and SAN scalability with dual functionality as either a full-fabric SAN switch or an N Port ID virtualization (NPIV)-enabled access gateway
- Gain capabilities for advanced monitoring, diagnostics, reliability, availability, serviceability and redundancy
- Ensure early problem detection and recovery with critical diagnostics and monitoring
- Achieve a comprehensive end-to-end view of the entire fabric with non-intrusive and non-disruptive monitoring on every port