Micro Focus ViewNow X Server provides Windows PC users with easy network access to memory-intensive, graphics-rich X applications running on UNIX systems. While X applications appear to be running locally on the desktop, processing actually takes place on the UNIX server, allowing organizations to leverage the power of X applications without the expense of dedicated, high-powered UNIX workstations. Integrated management capabilities, customization tools, and network diagnostic utilities simplify software configuration, deployment, and administration.
Much like VNC is used to control Windows devices from any location, Micro Focus ViewNow X provides the same facilities for UNIX servers. Administrators can remotely and securely access any desktop running UNIX and perform management tasks.
Many organizations utilizing offshore development face delays caused by data synchronization across long distances. Micro Focus ViewNow X eliminates these delays, enabling remote logon to UNIX servers and direct connection to the local data repository for real-time work management.
Reduced cost with Citrix/WTS deployment
Citrix/WTS servers provide multiple-user access to the same applications simultaneously. Deploying Micro Focus ViewNow X on a Citrix/WTS server provides many-to-many access - many users to many UNIX systems - reducing both the cost of application deployment and administration.
Expanded access to X applications
Windows PC users can easily run memory-intensive, graphics-rich X applications such as CAD/CAM, finite element modeling, financial analysis, database administration, production planning, inventory control, and more. While X applications appear to be running locally on the desktop, processing actually takes place on a UNIX server.
Micro Focus ViewNow X Server supports Kerberos 5.0 security for connection authentication and the MIT Magic Cookie message authentication system. Micro Focus ViewNow's SSH support enables secure access to applications and data-transfer between desktops and UNIX hosts, encrypting the session data streams to hosts capable of supporting these protocols. SSH1 provides faster performance while SSH2 provides tighter security.
Micro Focus ViewNow X Server enables administrators to manage the Central X workspace and users' workspaces remotely. Administrators can change files used by an entire department (or group) once, then automatically deploy them to all users.
Enhanced control panel
Users can configure individual X servers differently for fast, efficient access to multiple UNIX systems from a single desktop. Creating a default file for server or client settings simplifies administration of multiple client and server systems.
Enhanced usabilityProduct Highlights
Proven graphical user interfaces provide point-and-click simplicity that makes using X applications easy. PC users can easily cut and paste information between UNIX and Windows applications.
- Provides lower-cost access to high-performance UNIX applications
- Enables remote management of user workspaces and uses Microsoft Installer for consistent, seamless installation and deployment
- Provides Motif Windows Manager functionality, enabling users to move and resize windows
- Supports 2D and 3D graphics application programming interface using high-end OpenGL 1.1/GLX 1.2
- Secures communication between workstations and servers by supporting SSH (Secure Shell) and Kerberos 5.0 for both authentication and encryption
- Provides seamless point-and-click Windows integration, wizards, and context-sensitive online help to simplify access to X applications
- Central management capability enables administrators to publish and update session profiles for all users from a single location