Are you relying on best guesses to identify underutilized physical servers and virtual hosts? How can you be sure you are allocating sufficient resources for current and future needs? Put an end to guess work with PlateSpin Recon. PlateSpin Recon's unique workload profiling tracks actual CPU, disk, memory, and network utilization over time, on both physical and virtual hosts. Every server workload and virtual host has utilization peaks and valleys. PlateSpin Recon can build consolidation scenarios that match these peaks and valleys. This reduces resource contention and ensures higher consolidation ratios compared to other approaches that use just a single snapshot or record only peak usage. And higher consolidation ratios mean better use and longer life for your current hardware, and fewer new servers to buy in the future.
Without effective management, virtual machines can rapidly proliferate. This leads to poor resource usage and gives you an unwieldy infrastructure. PlateSpin Recon's Virtual Capacity Management finds underused resources in your virtualized IT environment. (Even though the virtualization platform may show 100 percent allocation. ) By reporting on the actual available resources, PlateSpin Recon lets you reclaim or reassign allocated resources. And moving these resources to new VMs, or to other VMs that require more resources, makes great business sense. It defers the need to purchase new hardware, and extends the usable life of your current hardware.
Need support for Windows, Linux and UNIX platforms? Need the kind of scalability that accommodates the world's largest data centers? PlateSpin Recon is right for you. Get a true enterprise-scale workload analysis, planning and management solution that works across platforms. Data can be aggregated from multiple PlateSpin Recon data collectors for centralized data warehousing, analysis and planning to meet the needs of larger enterprises. And when combined with PlateSpin Migrate, the Novell multiplatform workload migration solution, you'll gain a complete end-to-end solution with tightly integrated planning and execution for data center initiatives.
Remote data collection
PlateSpin Recon remotely collects inventory and performance data with no need to physically touch data center servers. PlateSpin Recon's run-once inventory collector gathers comprehensive server inventory data. Performance data is collected regularly via standard OS instrumentation capabilities. You can also import utilization data directly from your existing monitoring tools.
Robust data collection, analysis and planning for all servers in the network puts PlateSpin Recon in a class all its own for large-scale data center consolidation projects. You can aggregate data from geographically-dispersed PlateSpin Recon data collectors for centralized data warehousing, analysis and planning. This also accommodates larger implementations.
The PlateSpin Recon Capacity Planning Module automatically analyzes the five critical dimensions of workload - CPU, disk, memory, network and time - across thousands of servers simultaneously. This gives you consolidation plans that maximize utilization while minimizing resource contention.
Automatically generate server consolidation plans based on detailed workload analysis to ensure the optimal fit between server workloads and virtual resources. Stagger multiple workloads evenly across virtual hosts and account for hourly peaks and valleys inherent in server utilization trends. The ability to use forecasted data ensures that plans are built to accommodate future growth.
Create multiple custom scenarios with user-defined target server specifications, including server templates or existing virtual machine servers, to create an optimal consolidation plan.
Rich data modeling
Make better consolidation choices based on sophisticated analysis of resources, workloads and utilization trends. Tight integration with VMware vCenter (formerly VirtualCenter) provides greater visibility into your virtual infrastructure, improving data center management and operations.
Workload and utilization forecasting
Predict future workloads and resource utilization based on historical trends to better plan for server consolidation and infrastructure growth. This lets you be more proactive in your systems management. Forecasting data on CPU, disk, memory and usage trends is presented in easy-to-read charts, reports and plans.
Power and cooling analysisProduct Highlights
Compare and contrast potential power and cooling cost savings and ROI derived from different consolidation scenarios. Custom fields allow power and cooling requirements for major hardware platforms to be inputted and maintained in a central database. This lets you analyze and cost-justify green computing initiatives.
- With PlateSpin Recon, you can remotely discover server hardware and software assets across your entire data center
- Collects detailed information about each server in the network, including the operating system, installed and running applications or services, patch levels, CPU, memory, network and disk resources
- Identifies workloads and monitors utilization data over days, weeks or months to determine utilization trends
- Helps you make sure your data center is always optimized. It collects the key data points you need to assess and match workload sizes and resources
- Lets you import system performance data from HP Operations Center and Microsoft Operation Manager (MOM)
- Create scenarios for distributing workloads across virtual hosts to maximize utilization and minimize resource contention
- Use powerful "what-if" modeling to determine different combinations of hardware and virtual hosts
- Enter your own experimental hardware builds to compare and cost-justify different scenarios based on power and cooling, total cost of ownership, consolidation ratio and rack space needs
- Properly group and size workloads according to their resource requirements to generate a successful consolidation or recovery plan
- Consolidate and protect your servers using virtual and blade infrastructures
- Use the most effective way to consolidate your workload on the resources you have
- Reduce conflicts between resources
- Lower your overhead for ongoing migration. PlateSpin Recon helps you balance workloads across target server